Conclusion & Reflection

Conclusion & Reflection

After reading the assessment criteria again I can already see improvements from part one. I feel I really pushed my comfort zone with materials throughout part 2.

During part 2 I had decided I  wanted to produce a final piece that was not just another simple drawing of what I saw. I still wanted accuracy in my drawing, but I wanted to have more context to what I created. The mixed media materials I used helped me convey what I wanted to portray.

I was really happy with the use of colour. although I believe the coloured pencils were the right medium to use for the bright vibrant red of the rose. I found that with the texture of the book pages the colour smudged when the white acrylic ink was added. Looking back I should have waited for the ‘zest-it’ blender to dry more fully which would have prevented unwanted mixing of colour. The alcohol markers mixed really well with the white ink which helped create the illusion that the red rose is emerging from the bunch.

I used my sketchbook much more for experimenting and testing materials to help me gain a better understanding of what materials are best to use for a piece.

I still really struggled when it came to the research points. I feel that I do not do enough research as I end up getting overwhelmed and lose focus on what I am wanting to portray. I hope to focus on this for part 3 to help my artist research develop and help my work and flow more continually.

One thing I also struggled with during part 2 was finding time to add and create my own personal art work, this is something that I want to work on. Hopefully plan my time more effectively so I’m not rushing deadlines at the end.

Advertisements
Assignment 2 – Intimacy.

Assignment 2 – Intimacy.

This whole second section of the course is to do with intimacy. During this course section I learnt how to composition my still life with more meaning. Unlike part 1, Part 2 encourages the use of colour and this was quite exciting. We were allowed to choose our own direction for the final assignment piece. I really struggled with the interior section so decided to stick to my strengths and go back to still life drawing.

Sketchbook Brainstorm page

Sketchbook media practise page.

When deciding what to draw for my final still life I really wanted to do a natural, more classic still life of flowers and put a modern twist on it. but I couldn’t get the idea of using man made objects out of my head.

Most of my sketchbook pages are related to a botanical still life. Sine part two has focused on intimacy I decided to add this theme into my work so automatically thought of a Rose – the ultimate symbol of love.

As I kept thinking out man made objects and how to introduce them into my theme. I decided to do a final piece draft of my husbands gaming console controllers.

A3 mixed media paper Materials: Indian Ink & Prismacolor Pencils

‘xbox widow’ is a common term amongst my friends and peers, it implies that the woman has been left for the gaming obsessions that some people have – however since my husband is a games designer, I knew what I getting myself in for. So I thought about the intimacy and relation this has had on my life and decided to try it.

I sketched the controllers and the with indian ink filled half the page. I wanted to use what I had learnt about negative space and tonal use of colour to depict what I wanted. both sides of the line have the same shape of controller to it – but just with shading the outline almost completely changes to make it more organic. I really enjoyed this piece. I think its bold and dynamic – however I still wanted to use roses as my subject matter.

Hand crafted rose for subject matter.

I decided to introduce my man made opponent by hand crafting a rose from old book pages. (The book had already been destroyed so I was finding a purpose for it). I thought again about Intimacy, and how people escape into an unknown worlds to experience and relate to characters. I loved this rose – but then I was confronted with another problem. I needed to find a way to portray to my viewers that the rose I was using was made from literature. #

Sketchbook media testing

I then had the idea to use the pages from the same book as my background. This helped me use the things I learnt during the mixed media exercises earlier in this section. I also wanted to used red ink so the rose would show the writing through the shape but the ink would just soak through the paper too quickly for me to use water for blending. I then tested oil pastels and coloured pencils with ‘zest-it blender’. The pencil with the blender gave me the best result I was looking for so once I was confident controlling this medium I started on my final piece.

 (working progress)

A3 paper, book pages, coloured pencils, ‘zest-it’ blender and white acrylic ink were used to create the above image. After the book pages had dried I sketched and completed the red rose. I had the idea of the rose emerging from the words so I used the white acrylic ink to sponge of the pages and the edges of the rose. I really liked this effect and my intentions were to leave it like that. But from Part 1 I was advised to use my space more effectively this piece just seemed too empty to me.

Final Piece: A3 size, Book page background. Materials: Coloured pencils, ‘zest-it’ blender, white acrylic ink and grey tone Promarker pens.

I only wanted one red rose – but I used the same subject rose in different angles and drew them in with light grey marker pens. This gives the illusion of a bouquet but just the one rose is symbolic.

I love the subtlety of the grey shading on the written paper and the red rose. I am really pleased with the way this piece as turned out. I feel I have been able to involve most of what I learnt in part 2 into this final piece. I found the alcoholic markers blended with the ink really well and so creates an almost painted backdrop for the focus subject rose.